New Russian strikes hit residential areas in Kherson on Saturday, killing one person and injuring two others, the Ukrainian government said on Sunday.
According to Yaroslav Yanushevych, regional military administration, private apartment buildings and other civilian infrastructure were targeted.
Russian forces left Kherson a few weeks ago. On the other hand, Ukraine has been searching the area for mines and Ukrainian officials claim to have discovered numerous mines, tripwires and other dangerous objects throughout the Kherson region.
To date, the National Police have seized 4,200 explosive devices and destroyed 1,250.
Kherson's power supply was cut off following Russian forces' heavy shelling late last week. According to the regional military administration, much of the electricity supply has now been restored, with approximately 75 per cent having full access to power as of Sunday morning.
Meanwhile, over 500 Ukrainian municipalities were without power on Sunday. “The adversary continues to target the country's critical infrastructure. Currently, 507 communities in eight regions of our country are without power,” Yevgueny Yenin, deputy interior minister told Ukrainian television.
“The Kharkiv region has suffered the most, with 112 isolated villages,” Yenin added.
Authorities have urged civilians to prepare for worsening early winter conditions and frequent power outages.
On Thursday, Kyiv's mayor advised residents to stock up on water, food and warm clothing. Residents have been advised to consider staying with friends on the outskirts of Kyiv if possible.
Mayor Vitaliy Klitschko warned that in the event of “a blackout and the destruction of infrastructure, as well as a total absence of electricity, water supply, drainage and heat supply,” the temperature in homes could drop rapidly.